It’s raining outside, and I know it’s not Fall, but I’ve been wanting to make these muffins for some time now. There is no granulated white sugar in this recipe, so if you are watching your weight, these are less guilty and more nutritious because of the sweet potatoes. So instead of sugar, I used Organic Agave Nectar and Sweet Potatoes to sweeten these up. These are SUPER moist and delicious.
- 2 large Organic Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Organic Whole Milk
- 3/4 cup good-quality Agave Nectar, plus 2 extra tablespoons for brushing the muffins (use agave nectar and not agave syrup!)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 cups Unbleached All-purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Chinese Five-spice powder
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the sweet potato in a pot, add cold water times, bring to boil. Cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Set the aside and let cool.
Peel the sweet potato, discard the skin and mash the flesh in a mixing bowl with a fork. Whisk the olive oil, milk, agave, and vanilla into the sweet potato.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and five-spice powder. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and evenly distribute the muffin batter among the cups.
Bake at 400°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean, brushing the tops with extra agave nectar during the last 5 minutes of baking. Let the muffins cool before serving.