Here’s to all the Southern folks out there!!! Made my famous baked salmon (got the salmon from Patton’s Meat Market, it was GORGEOUS when I brought it home) with creamy grits garnished with fresh dill. Sounds fancy doesn’t it? But it’s the easiest and the fastest thing to make. Here’s my recipe:
For the Salmon
- 2 lbs of wild salmon fillets
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large onion, sliced
- salt, pepper to taste
1. Wash salmon fillets, pat dry, set aside.
2. Line a 9×9 inch baking pan with foil.
3. Slice onion into rings and place it on the bottom of the baking pan.
4. Add salmon fillets to the baking pan on top of the onion rings.
5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Sprinkle with shredded sharp cheddar cheese, enough to cover the fillets.
7. Spread mayonnaise on the fish with a spoon, enough to cover the fillets.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown on top and flakes with a fork.
For the Grits
- 4 packets of instant grits (2 per person)
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- milk, just a splash
- 1 TB spoon butter
1. In a small sauce pan, add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
2. Whisk in grits slowly, whisking well to avoid clumps from forming.
3. Reduce heat to simmer, simmer for 1 minute stirring constantly.
4. Add a splash of milk once the grits are bubbly and thick.
5. Add butter.
6. Garnish with fresh dill.